This category is for people who have a New Zealand resident or citizen partner and want to come to live in New Zealand with them. The minimum requirements for recognition of partnerships apply to all residence applications.
Minimum requirements for recognition of partnerships
To be granted residence in New Zealand you and your partner need to prove you:
• Are living together (and have been for a minimum of 12 months) in a genuine and stable relationship
• Are both aged 18 years or older (or can provide evidence of parental/guardian/other consent if either of you are 16 or 17 years of age)
• Met each other prior to your application being made, and
• Are not close relatives
Is my partner eligible to support me?
If you are applying for residence under the Partnership Category, you need to be supported by your New Zealand partner. Your partner is not eligible to support you if they:
• Have been convicted at any time of any offence involving domestic violence or of a sexual nature prior to the date the application is made (unless granted a character waiver), or
• Were the perpetrator of an incident of domestic violence which has resulted in the grant of a residence class visa to a person under the category for victims of domestic violence, or
• Have been included as a partner in or supported an application where a residence class visa was granted on the basis of a partnership in the five years immediately preceding the date the current application is made, or
• Have been included as a partner in or supported more than one previous application where a residence class visa was granted on the basis of a partnership.
Note: A residence class visa is considered to have been granted on the basis of a partnership if the New Zealand partner:
• Previously supported a successful application under the Partnership Category, or
• Was the principal applicant in a successful application under the Partnership Category
• Was the principal applicant in any successful residence class visa application that included a secondary applicant partner who was also granted residence, or
• Was granted residence as the partner of a principal applicant in any residence class visa application.
For more information or need a free assessment, please contact New Millennium Group Ltd.