New Millennium Group Ltd

Partnership Visa

Immigration New Zealand defines partnership as two people who are living together in a genuine and stable relationship within:

• a legal marriage; or

• a civil union (whether opposite or same sex); or

• a de facto relationship (whether opposite or same sex).

The relationship must have been entered into with the intention of being maintained on a long-term and exclusive basis and be likely to endure.

What type of visa can you apply for on the basis of partnership?

If you are a partner of a New Zealand citizen, resident or work visa holder, you may be eligible for a work visa or visitor visa based on partnership, depending on what you want to do in New Zealand. Partners of some student visa holders can apply for work visas, others can only apply for visitor visas.

Partners of New Zealand citizens and residence class visa holders

If you are the partner of a New Zealand citizen or residence class visa holder, and you don’t wish to apply for a residence class visa you may be eligible for a work or visitor visa for a maximum stay of two years. If you wish to study in New Zealand, you will need to apply using the Student Visa Application (INZ 1012) form and meet immigration requirements under student visa instructions.

To support your temporary visa application, your partner must be considered eligible to support you under the Residence Partnership Category.

Partners of holders of work visas

If you are the partner of a person holding a work visa, you may be eligible for a work visa or visitor visa for the same period as your partner.

Partners of holders of student visas          

You may be eligible for a work visa for the same period as the student visa held by your partner, if your partner holds a student visa to study:

• a level seven qualification on the New Zealand Qualification Framework in an area of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or

• towards postgraduate qualifications, or

• as a New Zealand Aid Programme scholarship student.

If your partner holds any other type of student visa, you may only apply for a visitor visa based on partnership.

What evidence of relationship is acceptable?

Every relationship is different so every visa application based on partnership will contain different evidence. However, regardless of what you provide, you and your partner must show sufficient convincing evidence to satisfy an immigration officer that you are living together in a genuine and stable relationship. 

For more information or need a free assessment, please contact
New Millennium Group Ltd.